Home » Blog » We are the 90%

We are the 90%

According to the most recent data on literacy in the United States, only 10 percent of adults have the knowledge and skills needed to understand important information about their health. Our access to health services and informed health decision-making are dependent on this information. So what about the other 90 percent?

We all want – and deserve – plain language information about our health! More than 3 out of 4 adults have looked for health or medical information. And 8 in 10 Internet users have searched for health information online. Imagine if all of these searches resulted in clear, actionable information – information that could be used in everyday life.

At CommunicateHealth, we are committed to creating health information that is easy to access, understand, and use – for everyone. Check out our latest infographic below for more information.

We are the 90%!


Please feel free to share and print the Health Literacy Infographic

It’s meant to be shared! We just ask that we are credited (but our name is already on the infographic itself, so that shouldn’t be an issue).

If you’d like to print it as a poster, download an 11×17 version here: 11×17 Health Literacy Infographic (.pdf, 188 KB) If you put up a poster in your office or space, feel free to send us a picture, we would love to see it in place!

If you’d like to use the graphics as PowerPoint slides, you can download images separated into four sections here: Health Literacy Infographic slides (.zip with .png files, 561 KB)


24 Comments so far

  1. Joanne Locke said

    This may be the best health infographic I’ve ever seen
    Often they are too busy. I really like this one.

  2. Excellent summary of need for more accessible health info. AND in easy-to-absorb format! The use of question mark icons is great.

    I have created a (growing) set of patient self-care instructions that have graphics and icons down the left side to cue the patient on what he has to do. Would love to share these with colleagues for comment, especially if anyone wants to test their acceptance by patients.

  3. Velonda Thompson, PhD said

    Thank you for compiling these important statistics. Stats that are at once disturbing and motivating for a wide variety of health professionals. In a time where health is “big business”, it reminds us of the vunerablity of people to the lastest and greatest as presented by expert marketing professionals for companies with the bottom line in mind. We have work to do!
    Yours in health,
    Dr. Velonda

  4. Henry John said

    CommunicateHeslth rocks! This is important info thanks for sharing in an interesting format.

  5. Velonda Thompson, PhD said

    As a long time nutrition educator and community health promotion advocate, I am doing cartwheels about inforgraphics!
    Thank you
    Dr. Velonda

  6. Pingback: Newly Released: A Health Literacy Manifesto | SocialButterfly

  7. Tiffany said

    Thank you for this excellent infographic, and thanks for encouraging us to share it. I’m going to use it for a vendor healthy literacy training next month.

  8. This is fantastic, thank you for sharing. We will be sharing on our site, http://www.carenovatemag.com with our healthcare extenders and caregivers.
    As scaring as the sites are, improved health literacy is key to improved health outcomes & patient safety, reduced cost.

  9. Keep up with your endeavor in promotion health by providing viable information. This could be a great tool in addressing the problem in disseminating health-associated information to the public. I hope I could browse more relevant health updates from you.

  10. Pingback: Gregory Smith

  11. Pingback: Homepage


Your email address will not be published.

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>