What’s hot in 2013: Our predictions

Smartphone with person entering their blood pressure data

Like many, the start of a new calendar has got us thinking: what will the big trends in health communication be this year? We have a few predictions to share — inspired by the “5 New Niches That Are Heating Up Fast” in the December/January issue of Inc. magazine. Personalized health tracking apps will be […]

Googling for Health

An image of a search bar with the question "do I have the flu?"

Our friends at the Pew Internet and American Life Project released a new study this week pointing to the increasing role of the web in medical diagnoses. 1 in 3 American adults is an “online diagnoser” — are you? 35% of U.S. adults say that at one time or another they have gone online specifically […]

Health Literacy and Tuberculosis (TB)

  Earlier this week, CommunicateHealth Principal, Stacy Robison, spoke at “The Language of TB” conference co-hosted by the Global TB Institute and the Massachusetts TB Program. The focus of the conference was on tuberculosis and health literacy, and (no surprise here!) Stacy’s talk highlighted health literacy. As CH followers well know, health literacy benefits everyone, […]

We are the 90%

Health Literacy Infographic

According to the most recent data on literacy in the United States, only 10 percent of adults have the knowledge and skills needed to understand important information about their health. Our access to health services and informed health decision-making are dependent on this information. So what about the other 90 percent? We all want – […]

CommunicateHealth Comes Out!

  This month, CommunicateHealth is the National Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce (NGLCC) “Member in the Spotlight.” (In case you were wondering: Yes, I am third-party certified as a lesbian.) In addition to certifying LGBT businesses like CommunicateHealth, the folks at NGLCC do a terrific job advocating for greater economic opportunity for LGBT-owned and […]

Plain Writing Act of 2010 Passes the House

The Plain Writing Act was passed by the House of Representatives as part of Sunshine Week, a national initiative to encourage open government. The Plain Writing Act will require federal agencies to write public documents in plain language. Rep. Bruce Braley, who introduced the bill, said: “There is no reason why the federal government can’t […]