Meet the team.
- Stacy Robison, MPH, MCHESPresident, Co-founderA self-proclaimed health literacy geek and an expert in clear communication, Stacy is responsible for leading CommunicateHealth’s content and creative excellence. Since co-founding the company at the age of 30, Stacy has been recognized as an innovative business leader by the U.S. Women’s Chamber of Commerce. She has appeared in the Washington Post, Boston Globe, and Healthcare News, among other media outlets, discussing a variety of issues from entrepreneurship to health behavior change.
- Xanthi Scrimgeour, MHEd, MCHESChief Strategist, Co-founderSince co-founding CommunicateHealth in 2009, Xanthi has been driving company strategy and operations, transforming the organization into a nationally recognized multimillion-dollar consulting firm. Under her leadership, CommunicateHealth has been recognized as one of the fastest growing companies by Entrepreneur and Inc. magazines 3 years in a row. A veteran public health advocate, Xanthi spent 20+ years working on the front lines with state and local health agencies. She draws on this experience to serve a diverse client portfolio that spans Fortune 500 companies and community-based nonprofits.
- Sandy Williams Hilfiker, MADirector of User-Centered Design, PrincipalSandy joined CommunicateHealth as Principal in 2010, bringing nearly two decades of experience in interactive design for health, usability and message testing, and all types of user research. Sandy is a leading expert in engaging people with limited literacy skills in the user-centered design process. She directs CommunicateHealth’s stellar UX team, delivering value to clients like the CDC, NIH, and the Veterans Health Administration — and simplifying the user experience for millions of healthcare consumers.
- Adam MoormanCreative DirectorAdam is a skilled visual communicator, and he takes pride in his graphic versatility. In his travels he has encountered and conquered: digital (web, email, user interface), branding and identity, traditional print, and design education. Adam’s goal is to provide our clients with a clean, clear, and precise design. Like most of his colleagues, he divides his time between CommunicateHealth’s visual and experience design teams.
- Amy Sutter, MHEdDirector of OperationsAmy is the queen of organization at CommunicateHealth. She deftly manages both processes and personalities (we think the Minnesota accent helps) to keep things running smoothly. With a background in public health and a natural talent for operations, she’s the perfect woman for the job.
- Blythe Miller, MPHEditorBlythe is a gifted health writer and editor (and resident Deadhead) who transforms complicated medical information into original, plain language content. She specializes in sexual health, and her friendly tone and conversational style make this tricky health topic a lot more approachable.
- CH Alumn
- Huijuan Wu, PhD, MS, MEngSenior Usability ResearcherHuijuan is an experienced researcher dedicated to making health information technology intuitive for all audiences. She conducts user research and then helps translate it — applying user-centered design principles to health care websites, tools, and technology.
- Jason MorrisFront End DeveloperJason is a front-end developer who prides himself on creating clean, responsive, intuitive websites. While he accepts (and even embraces) the constantly changing landscape of web development, he always stays focused on the essentials — keeping sites fast and accessible for all users on an increasing variety of devices.
- Jaya Mathur, MAHealth Communication ManagerJaya is a master at creating content that people can understand and use. Mostly, she uses her skills for good — by demystifying medical speak and delivering simple, actionable health education. (Every so often, she uses them for evil — to police the grammar of loved ones.) Jaya has several years of experience in public health research.
- Jeff Lee, MSWeb DeveloperJeff provides essential back-end application development and database support for our products — the behind-the-scenes work that users rely on, even when they don’t know it. Jeff is devoted to meeting industry best practices and increasing efficiency in our work — and happy to be part of a team advancing public health.
- Jenna Paulsen, MFADesign AssociateJenna is a seasoned administrative professional with a background in art and design. She wears many hats — whether she’s designing for print or web, planning events, solving IT issues, or just keeping staff on track, Jenna is there to help with a smile.
- Jocelyn CozzoFront End Web DeveloperJocelyn champions progressive enhancement and builds websites that are simple, elegant, and accessible across devices. She takes advantage of the latest features to enrich the user experience whenever possible. We’re pretty sure she dreams in code.
- Kat Good-Schiff, MFAContent ManagerAs a technical writer and a poet, Kat grounds her work in best practices of health literacy, health education, and plain language. She oversees content development and maintenance for federal, private, and nonprofit clients, including managing more than 100 disease prevention topics for the award-winning site healthfinder.gov.
- Katie CheungHealth Communication ManagerKatie’s dedication to the principles of public health makes her a fantastic asset to our team — as does her experience in community-based research, data analytics, and health writing. She supports content and research projects to make sure things run smoothly and the end product exceeds user (and client!) expectations.
- Katrina Lanahan, MPHHealth Communication ManagerKatrina synthesizes user research findings and health behavior theory to create clear, actionable content. Her passion is creating that aha moment when a reader thinks, “I can do that!” Katrina has a background in research, program management, and curriculum development.
- Kelsey JordanHealth Education SpecialistKelsey assists the team with health writing, health research, usability testing... and just about everything else. Her studies in public health, gender theory, and Spanish fuel her passion for empowering vulnerable populations to make healthy decisions.
- Kim Smith, CHESSocial Media and Outreach CoordinatorKim’s a pro at all the things: health writing, program planning, data collection and evaluation, and more. We appreciate her attention to detail and keen insight. And readers appreciate her clear, empathic content, which helps them understand and take charge of their health.
- Mareika PhillipsWeb and Graphic DesignerMareika is an accomplished design professional with diverse experience — ranging from hand-drawn typography and illustration to web and user experience design. Her visual solutions are always innovative — a reflection of her passion for aesthetics balanced with sharp strategic insight.
- Margaret YoungbergAdministrative AssociateMargaret is at home keeping as many administrative plates spinning as possible. We think it may have something to do with her background in physics and music… She’ll happily fix your internet connection while answering the phone, getting invoices out the door, and explaining how an FSA works (again).
- Matt AllenDirector of TechnologyMatt leads our stellar team of front- and back-end developers. He's passionate about user-centered design and emerging trends in web and mobile technologies. Matt draws on his experience in web development and accessibility standards to create clean, intuitive websites that make his clients (and us) happy.
- Matthew Montesano, MPHHealth Communication ManagerMatthew loves nothing more than communicating public health data (except perhaps bicycle racing). He takes an innovative approach to developing web and visualization tools and always makes sure clients showcase information in user-friendly ways. He works to understand what people need and the best way to deliver it… and then tests and tweaks it until it’s right.
- Megan Lewis Freedman, MA, MCHESProject DirectorMegan is our leading content strategist and a veteran CommunicateHealth team member. She directs the development, maintenance, and subject matter expert review of several award-winning federal government websites. Megan also writes, edits, and evaluates plain language print and web content.
- Michael Godin, MSWeb DeveloperMike’s responsible for transforming CommunicateHealth’s original ideas and designs into accessible, high-performance applications for the web. He’s worked in government, industry, and non-profit realms on topics ranging from environmental risk management to underwater robotics.
- Ochen Kaylan, JDWeb DeveloperOchen is a key player in back-end development — the magic that makes our websites and online tools tick. While he’s worked in web development and design for over 15 years, his resume is also dazzling in its variety. Ochen has professional experience in many fields, including design, journalism, and law.
- Rachel Pryzby, MPH, CHESHealth Communication ManagerRachel’s public health experience, most recently with CDC, has made her a savvy health communicator and project manager. Much of her work has focused on developing better communication strategies to improve sexual and reproductive health. You can usually find Rachel writing content, leading strategy sessions, or geeking out about the latest public health research.
- Rebecca WrightContent StrategistRebecca believes that everyone has the right to health information they can understand. Drawing on her experience at social service and legal-aid organizations, she creates clear, engaging plain language health materials that are accessible to low-literacy audiences — and a pleasure to read for everyone else.
- Sami Cohen, MPHCommunication AssociateWith joie de vivre, Sami provides cross-project support with her sharp plain language writing skills and keen sense of the research process. Her passion for public health policy and social justice shines through in her work.
- Sarah Pomerantz, MPH, CPHProject DirectorSarah is passionate about environmental justice. And it’s a good thing, because she directs our environmental health work. It’s Sarah’s job to oversee the research, design, and development of stellar communication products — for professionals and the public. She’s also a data nerd, lending her expertise to national initiatives like DATA2020.
- Sarah Nagaratnam, MPHInformation Designer/Health Communication SpecialistSarah has a background in both public health and design, and she applies her interdisciplinary skills to create health communication tools and websites that excel in both form and function. Her goal on every project is to create something that audiences will not just learn from, but genuinely enjoy using.
- Sean Arayasirikul, MSPH, PhD Candidate, CHESSenior Health Communication ResearcherSean is a social and behavioral researcher who studies how racial, ethnic, and other minority populations make complex decisions about their health care. He’s committed to a “high-touch, high-tech” approach to our websites and digital tools — creating cutting-edge tech that’s approachable and empowering.
- Shannon McConnellUser Experience SpecialistShannon is an advocate for applying the user-centered design process to solve all kinds of problems. From research to prototyping and testing, she supports the end-to-end creation of easy-to-use, impactful digital health tools. Her experiences living abroad give Shannon a unique sense of curiosity and empathy that help her develop innovative solutions that put the user first.
- Stacy Allen, MSSpanish Language Content ManagerStacy is a skilled project manager and usability researcher. She is dedicated to making public health resources accessible to everyone, particularly to underserved populations. As a content manager at CommunicateHealth, she oversees the development of the Spanish-language content for healthfinder.gov and contributes to several usability research efforts.
- We ♥ Health LiteracyLike what you just read? Sign up for We ❤ Health Literacy and get our weekly email full of practical health literacy tips and tricks delivered straight to your inbox.
Meet our partners.
Janna R. White
Janna creates stylish, accessible, and grammatically correct content that any reader will appreciate. She is the founder of Janna R. White Content and Editing, the co-editor of a book on contemplative science forthcoming with Yale University Press, and a total word nerd. She’s our resident copyeditor in shining armor.
Noah Smith co-founded Common Media in 2007 after completing a Master’s degree in Computer Science at Tufts University. Since then, Noah has built Common Media into an award-winning web development firm. Noah’s primary responsibilities are business development, solutions architecture, and company-wide technical direction.
Kelly is an uber-talented graphic designer with over 20 years of experience — and we're stoked to have her on our team. Clients dig Kelly's uncanny ability to develop brand identities that capture the essence of an organization or issue. And we dig her laid-back style and boundless creative energy.
Morgan has spent his career in health communication, most recently as a content guru at CH, and before that as reporter and editor with WebMD. His ongoing mission: to root out baffling medical jargon wherever he can and to create guidance that’s both compassionate and clear.